In this section
Blair Castle Front Drive
Blair Castle is at the heart of historic landscape which was laid out in the 18th century and features an impressive walled garden, an extensive wooded grove, a ruined kirk, a red deer park and awhimsical gothic folly. Highland cattle graze in fields nearby and the native red squirrel can often be spotted amongst the branches of some of Perthshire’s trees. Peacocks roam freely in the gardens and are popular for visitors to catch a photo of.
Hercules Garden is a nine acre walled garden has been restored to its original Georgian design. Named after the life-sized statue of Hercules which overlooks the garden, it incorporates landscaped ponds, a folly, a Chinese bridge and an authentic orchard of more than 100 fruit trees. The glory of this garden in summer are the herbaceous borders which run along the 275m south-facing wall.
Diana’s Grove, a tranquil wooded area adjacent to the castle offers an opportunity to enjoy some of the county’s finest and tallest trees in a space of just two acres.
Blair Castle’s woodland adventure playground is just within Diana’s Grove and offers children the freedom for fun both on the equipment and within the wooded setting.
The Banvie Burn runs through Diana’s Grove and is crossed by two handsome 18th century bridges which give access to the ruins of St Bride’s Kirk with its ancient origins in Celtic times. After the nearby Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689, the Kirk became the resting place for the remains of Viscount Dundee, (John Graham of Claverhouse, known as Bonnie Dundee).
The Whim is an eye-catching folly standing on a bank to the north of the castle in line with the Lime Avenue which forms the main drive. It dates from 1761 and is a façade pierced with gothic arches set behind a parapet wall linking two small pavilions.
Visitors can enjoy following the Sculpture Trail, which incorporates a mixture of contemporary and 18th century sculpture, through the castle gardens and grounds.